Welcome to the Rocket Farms Forum.

Thank you for visiting. Our Support Forum is for all users. To post a question you must become a registered user. Once registered, login and ask away.
  1. General
  2. Thursday, 20 June 2019
  3.  Subscribe via email
Pamela Lee
Purchased Tropical Foliage #1312685 at Costco and need to know how to water or how much and frequency due to no directions came with plant. It appears to have permanently cemented rock on surface of container. Do you simply mist this plant for its moisture needs, keep out of direct sunlight? Thank you for such nice plant.
Pam Lee This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Pamela,
Thank you for posting about your plant. The care slightly varies on the variety of foliage that it is, although they are all considered indoor tropicals. I'll reach out to you separately; hope you can send me a photo and I will identify it for you and provide detailed care information. Misting is always good for many plants, but they do also require watering. The information below is from our grower:

Water no more than once a week – the rocks help retain the water in the pot.
Make sure it is watered in a sink or with something under it since it has a hole in the bottom for drainage.
Can be watered directly through the rocks. The water will penetrate through the rocks.

Jo/Rocket Farms
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. 3 weeks ago
  2. General
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
As you may see, This is my first time posting a message, and I had much difficulty posting a picture. Nonetheless, I cannot figure out how to remove the unwanted duplicates and keep the post that has the picture of the plant included.
Apologies for multiple duplicate post.
Thank you.
Comment
  1. 3 weeks ago
  2. General
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
I have also purchased, Tropical Foliage #1312685 at Costco. It looks like hearty plant, yet delicate at the same time.

What causes the leaves to start turning yellow and drop off?

How much light do they need?

Can they sit outside on a porch?

What are they're temperature tollerations?

Is there an average life expectancy with this plan?

Thank you in advance for you answers.

Sandy [attachment] Tropical Foliage 1312685 at Costco July 2019.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. 3 weeks ago
  2. General
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Sandra,
Thank you for adding a photo - it helps so much!
Your plant is commonly known as a Fiddle-leaf Fig, or Ficus lyrate.  It is a native of West Africa, and is considered a tropical plant.  It is a relative of the mulberry.

Water instructions are the same as I have already posted,
make sure that it doesn’t sit in water or stay too wet, or get too dried out.
It is great for homes or apartments, as it likes bright indirect light, maybe even a little bit of morning sun.  A south facing window with full sun is not good, however.  Think that the plant grows in a jungle environment, so gets filtered sun in its native environment.
Fertilize sparingly, once in spring and monthly in summer – when it is growing. 
Keep the tree out of cool drafts, it prefers warmer temperatures.

The most common reasons the Fiddle Leaf drops leaves if it has too much water, or gets too cool. It wouldn't like to be near an air conditioner draft (or heat vents either). It likes warm 60-80 degree temperatures, meaning that it doesn't do well outside in much of the US. However, in summer if your outdoor porch is covered and the temperature stays warm, it could do fine. It likes humidity, and can be misted.

I can't find anything on life expectancy, but read a blog that one person has had their indoor plant for 8 years. Hope this helps! Jo
Comment
  1. 2 weeks ago
  2. General
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
A post from another purchaser of a lovely plant from Costco.
It is currently in a South facing window but due to shading doesn't get much direct sun.
Another person at Costco said it will get large and outgrow the pot.[attachment]CostcoPlant.
I would appreciate specific care instructions.
Thank you.
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. 2 weeks ago
  2. General
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
OK…so I’m another happy buyer of a Costco 7” Tropical Foliage/Item 1312685. In my case it’s a Beaucarnea recurvata, AKA a “Ponytail Palm” (photo enclosed). :D

A few questions:
1-When you grow this commercially, what are the conditions (high or low humidity, bright shaded light or full sun, how frequently do you water/fertilize?
2- This seems to be an exceptionally healthy specimen, roughly how old is it (and how fast will it grow?)
3-What kind of fertilizer do you use in growing this plant?
4-Does it have any sort of flower & can I encourage it to bloom? How?
And one last question…does Rocket Farms ever open for retail sales?

Thanks! P'tail Palm1.jpg
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. 2 weeks ago
  2. General
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
John,
Thank you for writing! You are 100% correct - your plant is commonly known as a Ponytail Palm, or Beaucarnea recurvata.  Although called a palm, it isn’t a true palm, and is more closely related to Agave or Yucca.  It is native to eastern Mexico. It is about 3-4 years old, and can stay in this pot for a year or so; you may wish to repot to a larger container next spring, if it has outgrown this one.
Per our grower:
Water no more than once a week – the rocks help retain the water in the pot.
Make sure it is watered in a sink or with something under it since it has a hole in the bottom for drainage.
Can be watered directly through the rocks. The water will penetrate through the rocks.
It doesn’t like to sit in water, so make certain that it has drained after watering it.  Normal room temperature is good.

This plant likes full or partial sun, a north or south facing window would work.  This is how the plant is grown. You can fertilize once or twice a year.
Enjoy your new plant!
Comment
  1. one week ago
  2. General
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
Sam,
Thank you also for posting a photo of your plant; you have a Sago palm. They are interesting plants, not really palms, related more to evergreen conifer trees- they are Cycas revolute.

Keep in shaded area rather than in full sun, as the leaves will look better. Sago Palms do well outdoors only in hardiness zones 8-10.
Water like previous plant advice, through the rocks. They like well-drained soil, and won’t fair well if they sit in water or get too dried out; sitting in water will make the roots rot, so just water when the soil starts getting dry, about every 5-7 days.
Fertilize in the spring. An annual application of a balanced, slow-release fertilizer should provide sufficient nutrients.
You can plant to pot up in a larger pot in about a year, depending on new growth. Don’t feel like you need to prune the plants, but if you get a dead leaf, you can carefully remove it.
Jo
Comment
  1. one week ago
  2. General
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
John,
One more thing, to answer your question if we are open to the public. We unfortunately are not open to the public, but have a wholesale center that is open to resale customers. Hope this helps! Jo
Comment
  1. one week ago
  2. General
  3. # 9
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.