Welcome to the Rocket Farms Forum.

Thank you for visiting. Our Support Forum is for all users. To post a question you must become a registered user. Once registered, login and ask away.
  1. General
  2. Saturday, 15 June 2019
  3.  Subscribe via email
Nicole House
My hubby gave me a bamboo plant about a year ago. It is growing well but the top leaves are now getting much lighter than the leaves closer to the base stems.
I am thinking fertilizer is needed, and wondering if it needs a new container. From other posts I have read it mentions changing the water.. I have never done this. I want this plant to be healthy. It did not come with(or hubby lost them) care instructions, the sticker on the bottom said rocket farms, that's it. Please help!
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Nicole,
Thank you for writing to us about your Lucky Bamboo. Yellow leaves could be a sign that your plant's water is not good; for instance, tap water often contains chlorine, which the plant does not like. You mentioned that you never changed the water, I would do this, but use bottled water. Remove the stems and roots from the water and rinse thoroughly, then provide fresh water for them.
You can remove the yellow leaves, as once a stalk or leaf is yellow, they will not turn back to green.

Hope this helps,
Jo/Rocket Farms
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General
  3. # 1
Votes
Undo
It's grown about 8in since I got it I'm wondering does it need a bigger container also thank you so much for your response
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General
  3. # 2
Votes
Undo
Nicole,
Since it has grown 8" (!) , the root ball may have outgrown the pot. When you take it out to rinse with water, take a look at its size versus the size of the original container. If it is looking pretty large and cramped in the container, then I would agree that it is time for a larger pot.
Choose a new pot or vase that is wider than your current one, and large enough to support the plant height.
You can re-pot in water, which sounds like how your current plant is, or in soil.

In water, place the rinsed root ball in the center of the container and spread the roots out. Cover with pebbles, marbles, or small river stones. These will hold the stalks upright. Cover with water. For best plant health you will want to change the water fairly often, every 2-4 weeks. If it is warm and water is evaporating, be sure to add more so the plant doesn't dry out.

You can also re-pot in soil. You would need a new pot with a drainage hole. Fill about 1" of the bottom of the pot with small stones or gravel. Top the stones with soil, until the pot is 2/3 full. Moisten the soil and allow the water to drain out of the bottom. Place your root ball on the moistened soil and spread out the roots. Fill the remainder of the pot with soil and gently tamp it down so that the stalks stay straight and upright. Water as needed to keep the soil moist.

Thank you and good luck with your plant. Jo
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General
  3. # 3
Votes
Undo
Awesome! Thanks!!!:)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General
  3. # 4
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.