Welcome to the Rocket Farms Forum.

Thank you for visiting. Our Support Forum is for all users. To post a question you must become a registered user. Once registered, login and ask away.
  1. General
  2. Saturday, 08 December 2018
  3.  Subscribe via email
Robin Riddle
I bought this BloomRite "elephant's foot" (bonsai ponytail palm) ten to fifteen years ago from a store long-since-closed in Half Moon Bay, CA. Wonderful plant! I water it once a week in a drain rack on the kitchen sink. But the palm has gotten heavy and is tilting. And the material (moss?) around the trunk is pulling away from the trunk, exposing the roots or at least the bottom of the trunk. Currently the palm is in a beautiful Japanese-themed wooden container, with a plug at the bottom. The top is mostly little pieces of gravel that seem to be glued down. (The gravel has not fallen apart at all, even after all this time.) Around most of the trunk is something like "moss" though a bit of the gravel comes right up to the trunk. Even if I straighten up a trunk with a large rock, there's still "moss" missing around the trunk and holes to beneath the trunk. I guess the "moss" has settled.

What do I do? And, most importantly, what sort of "soil" do I use? Is this "moss" a standard soil replacement? Do I need to change the dish?

Thanks,
Robin
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Robin,
thanks for your inquiry....sounds as though you've taken great care of your Ponytail Palm. At this time, if you wish to transplant, we recommend a succulent or cactus potting mix with great drainage. should you keep it in the current pot, you can remove the plug for drainage and replace it when you want to display. If you would like more info, here is a link to a great article from the Farmer's Almanac.

https://www.almanac.com/plant/ponytail-palms
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. 4 weeks ago
  2. General
  3. # 1
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.