Welcome to the Rocket Farms Forum.

Thank you for visiting. Our Support Forum is for all users. To post a question you must become a registered user. Once registered, login and ask away.
  1. General
  2. Thursday, 22 June 2017
  3.  Subscribe via email
Hellestine Beamon
What kind of dirt should i buy to transplant and how long should i wait before i transplant?
Support Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hello,

Venus flytrap thrives in poor, acidic soil with good drainage. Avoid planting it in regular potting soil: A blend of one-third sand and two-thirds sphagnum peat moss provides the best drainage and moisture retention. Do not add lime to the soil and never fertilize the plant. As far as transplanting, Wait until winter. In early winter when daytime temperatures drop to 40 or 50 degrees F and day length shortens, Venus fly traps go dormant. Transplanting while the plants are dormant causes less stress and gives time to re-establish new root systems.

Thank you for choosing Rocket Farms!
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General
  3. # 1
Hellestine Beamon Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Thank you for the reply. The pot that it comes in from Wal Mart is so small, I wonder if it can grow at all in that little pot.
Do you know the name of a dirt I can buy already mixed and ready to use for the flytrap?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General
  3. # 2
Raven Bass Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hello!

Venus flytraps do perfectly well in a plastic pot that is about 3 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep. You can remove the walmart tubing if you'd like, that's mostly used to 1) protect the plant during shipping, 2) protect the plant from nursery abuse and 3) protect the plant from customer abuse in stores. To keep the plant well watered, put it in a shallow dish (you can get plastic pot dishes at walmart, which usually collect drainage) and fill the little dish with water. do not let the little dish go dry Make sure the water is distilled water or rain water. All other waters can be very harmful. Fridge/filtered water, tap water, and spring water are not ideal. Distilled or rain only.

Venus flytraps grow well in peat moss, sphagnum moss, or coconut coir. this link is super helpful, as is this one .
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General
  3. # 3
Robyn Dutcher Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I just bought a venus fly trap from Walmart and I'm wanting to know what the best container to put it in maybe send a picture thank you
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General
  3. # 4
Support Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hi Robyn,

Thanks for contacting us! You can plant your Venus Fly Trap in almost any type of pot, sized 4" and higher. Venus Fly Traps have a large root system, so the deeper the pot the better. You can also put your VFT in a glass terrarium along side other plants. If you do choose the terrarium route, keep it inside as direct sunlight can burn the plant. Be sure whichever pot you choose has at least two drainage holes!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. General
  3. # 5
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.