Welcome to the Rocket Farms Forum.

Thank you for visiting. Our Support Forum is for all users. To post a question you must become a registered user. Once registered, login and ask away.
  1. Flowers/Trees
  2. Saturday, 24 September 2016
  3.  Subscribe via email
Allen Wiley
where can I get dirt for my venis fly trap
Herb Tardy Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Allen, VFTs like a mixture of peat with sand and/or perlite, usually 50/50 peat and sand or 4 parts peat, one part perlite. You can get the components at any garden store, but make sure they do not have any fertilizer mixed in! There are also some websites where you can get premixed soil (California Carnivores, for example).
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Flowers/Trees
  3. # 1
Carol Hinz Kelley Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Thanks everybody! Very helpful. I've loved these fascinating plants since I was a kid but have never managed to keep on alive very long. I just picked up one this week on a whim and would like to keep it alive.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Flowers/Trees
  3. # 2
Carol Hinz Kelley Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Is there a good source for a more attractive container to keep the VFT in? I live in Minnesota so our indoor air is extremely dry during heating season.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Flowers/Trees
  3. # 3
Support Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Hello,

You can try making a small terrarium for your VFT. I've attached some pictures for inspiration.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Flowers/Trees
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Hello,

Thanks for contacting us! You can try making a small terrarium for your VFT using a mason jar or glass bowl/jar similar to a fish bowl (that you can cover). Anything that while allow it to create humidity in your dry conditions. I've attached a picture for inspiration.

-Rocket Farms
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Flowers/Trees
  3. # 5
Votes
Undo
Here is another photo for inspiration:
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Flowers/Trees
  3. # 6
Votes
Undo
Here is another photo for inspiration:
Attachments (1)
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Flowers/Trees
  3. # 7
Votes
Undo
@Carol Hinz Kelley, during the heating season (most of it, anyway), your VFTs should be dormant. When dormant, they require very little water or humidity, and tend to look like they're dying. They wake up and start growing again as the days get longer late Feb - early March. When growing they actually need much less humidity than their reputation. I keep mine outside in the summer and inside when it's cold in NM, and the only extra humidity they get comes from evaporation from their soil and the tray of water they sit in. What they need a lot of when growing is light: full sunlight for as many hours as you can give them. Full sunlight and a terrarium make a dangerous combination, so be careful!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Flowers/Trees
  3. # 8
Votes
Undo
Carol, a great resource for how to keep it alive is Barry Rice's carnivorous plant FAQ: http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html You might also look into the International Carnivorous Plant Society Facebook group. Good luck!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Flowers/Trees
  3. # 9
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.