Welcome to the Rocket Farms Forum.

Thank you for visiting. Our Support Forum is for all users. To post a question you must become a registered user. Once registered, login and ask away.
Votes
Undo
  1. Flowers/Trees
  2. Friday, 25 July 2014
  3.  Subscribe via email
Jana
I received a 3" orchid plant as a mothers day present about 2 years ago. It has bloomed ever since. However now there is only 1 bloom left. I feel I should do something with it as it has always had numerous blooms at 1 time. What can you recommend? Thank you
Support Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Once the last bloom dies off, you can cut back the stem to allow the plant to rebloom. Your orchid will go dormant for 6-9 months and then should start to send up a new spike. While your orchid is dormant, fertilize it once a month using a well balanced fertilizer at half strength. Keeping the plant in cooler night temperatures (55-65 degrees) will also help promote flowering.
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Flowers/Trees
  3. # 1
Jana Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Ok but what do I do with all the spikes coming out from the bottom. I have tried a few times to attach photo, but it will not. Please see photo I posted on Rocket Farms facebook. Thank you
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Flowers/Trees
  3. # 2
Support Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Those spikes coming out the bottom are the roots of the plant. It is very normal for orchids to behave this way. They like to be tight in a pot and will often do this with their roots. In the wild, they develop these aerial roots to obtain moisture from the air. You should mist these roots regularly. This can also be a sign that your orchid is receiving too much water and the roots are trying to escape. Water your plant when the moss is dry to the touch. Do not cut them off as they are beneficial for the plant.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Flowers/Trees
  3. # 3
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.