- Position:Grower Manager and Scheduler
- Job Classification: Regular, Full Time
- FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
- Department: Horticulture
- Supervisory Responsibility: Yes
- Reports To: VP, Horticulture
- Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
The Grower Manager and Scheduler is responsible for providing oversight for a variety of crops in both locations (Half Moon Bay & Salinas) ensuring that crops finish on time and according to internal harvest specifications; and for the scheduling of all crops and trials grown by Rocket Farms in all its locations. The Grower Manager and Scheduler is responsible for the growth and development of several direct reports and should adhere to established best practices and strategies to ensure success, which is measured via specific and defined objectives related to quality, crop timing; yield and cost savings.
Business Travel- 10%
- Manage all Irrigation and Fertility Program
- Awareness of proper water and fertility needs based on specific crops and through feedback with the staff.
- Monitoring and proper record keeping of EC and pH levels across a variety of crops, and communication of variances to the appropriate personnel.
- Manage plant tissue and soil analysis as needed to ensure that plants are receiving proper nutrient levels.
- Pest and Disease Identification, Control and Management
- Regular monitoring, scouting and identification of insect pests and plant diseases
- Work with production and PCA on best practices for insect and disease management.
- Awareness of all state and local laws and regulations pertaining to the safe handling and application of chemicals and biologicals
- Environmental Control
- Awareness of proper environmental settings, including but not limited to lights, humidity and temperature levels for a variety of crops
- Train personnel on the growing environment through a variety of methods, from manual operation of thermostats to interaction with more sophisticated environmental software programs (e.g. Hoogendoorn automation).
- Crop Timing and Predictions
- Awareness of desired timing for a variety of crops and how timing is affected by different factors such as nutrition, genetics, and environment among others.
- Labor and Activity Management
- Work together with production supervisors to understand key metrics and standards on activities directly impacting the quality and timing of crops
- Keep greenhouses always cleaned, sanitized and organized
- Responsible for the on-time release of crops schedules and for the validation of their accuracy.
- Work closely with the Master Planner and Planning Team on the creation and on-time submission of production plans.
- Validate the accuracy of the crop requirements such as varieties, soil and pot type, spacing, timing, and yield percentages.
- Participate actively in the Production Planning Process and recurrent meetings.
- Get involved in the implementation of new systems which directly impact the scheduling of crops.
- Partner with other departments to develop and implement strategic planning initiatives in terms of facility and systems upgrades.
- Work safely at all times. Report any hazardous conditions to supervisor and safety team.
- Form part of the Safety Committee and report any concerns.
- Operate with a high level of integrity, adhering to company standards and values
- Perform other related or assigned duties as required by the VP of Horticulture.
- B.S. in Horticulture, Biological Science or related field required, Masters in Science preferred
- 5+ years of previous experience in horticulture, greenhouse management or related fields
- 3+ years of supervisory skills. Ability to manage a crew of 10+ employees successfully
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Ability to travel to other growing locations (Salinas, South Property, etc.)
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- CA Private Applicator Certification required
- Must stay abreast of current industry knowledge
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (i.e. Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.)
- Ability to create and present reports and other documents associated with crop production
- Excellent organizational skills; meeting facilitation skills
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; frequently required to talk or hear; and occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and color vision.