- Job Title: Grower I
- Job Classification: Regular, Full Time
- Job Status: Salaried, Exempt
- Department: Horticulture
- Reports To: Director of Horticulture
- Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
The Grower I is responsible for the care of the crops being assigned by his/her supervisor ensuring that crops will finish on time and according to internal harvest specifications. This role will oversee crops grown in the Half Moon Bay area. The Grower I should adhere to established best practices and strategies to ensure success, which is measured via specific and defined objectives related to quality, crop timing and yield.
Essential Functions (Duties and Responsibilities):
- Responsible for record keeping associated with assigned crops in all areas of harvesting as assigned by manager.
- Responsible for water, fertility, soil, pest disease, crop timing, scheduling and planning management for assigned crops.
- Manage quality control for assigned crops to ensure crops specifications are being met on a timely manner.
- Liaison between Horticulture Department and Operations Department to ensure efficient communication regarding labor deployment efficiencies.
- Report and communicate any problems associated with assigned crops to grower manager and other pertinent functions.
- Effectively lead and supervise sprayers and irrigators by providing proper training, following safety procedures and taking disciplinary actions as needed.
- Responsible for overseeing greenhouse daily maintenance, including a clean and safe work environment.
- Work responsibly at all times. Report any hazardous conditions to department head.
- This position works on a rotational schedule with other Growers to cover weekend work.
- Perform any other related or assigned duties as required or assigned.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Experience):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture or Biological Sciences required.
- 1year minimum pertinent work experience in managing greenhouses, crop trials and related fields required.
- Must be capable of managing up to 3 employees; on the job training will be provided.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e. Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.).
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Bilingual (English/ Spanish) preferred.
- Valid California Driver’s License and eligibility for company auto insurance required.
- Ability to work successfully with all levels of management.
- CA Private Applicator certification preferred.
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; frequently required to talk or hear; and occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities by this job include close distance and color vision.
*This position description does not promise or imply that the functions listed in the Position Summary are the only duties to be performed or that the position may not change or be eliminated. Employees interested in learning more about the essential duties and responsibilities of this position should complete the Position Interest Form and submit it to the Human Resources Department.