- Job Classification: Regular, Full Time
- FLSA Status: Salaried, Exempt
- Department: Horticulture
- Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
- Reports To: Grower Manager
- Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
The Grower is responsible for managing assigned crop(s) and ensuring that internal harvesting specifications are met with the main goal of producing crops on time to spec. The Grower is also responsible for managing day-to-day operations related to, but not limited to: irrigation, fertilization, soil management, diseases and pest management, crop timing and scheduling, environmental control, trials documentation, as well as planning.
- Responsible for record keeping associated with assigned crop(s) in all areas of harvesting as assigned by his/her manager.
- Responsible for water, fertility, soil, pest disease, crop timing, scheduling and planning management for assigned crop(s)/areas.
- Coordinate and perform research and development projects as directed (i.e. trials).
- Manage quality control for assigned crop(s) to ensure crop(s) specifications are being met on a timely manner. Work in coordination with Quality Control person.
- Liaison between Growing Department, Operations/Production Department and Planning Department to ensure efficient communication regarding crop(s) issues are being resolved in a timely manner.
- Report and communicate any problems associates with assigned crop(s) to department head and other pertinent functions.
- Effectively lead and supervise the employees by providing proper training, following and enforcing safety procedures; and taking disciplinary actions as needed.
- Responsible for managing assigned greenhouse daily maintenance, including a clean and safe work environment.
- Work responsibly at all times. Report any hazardous conditions to department head.
- Perform any other related or assigned duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture, Biological Sciences and/or previous on the job training
- 2+ years of experience in a horticultural setting or related field
- 2+ years of supervisory and/or management experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (i.e. Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.)
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Bilingual (English/ Spanish) is preferred
- Valid driver’s license and eligibility for auto insurance
- Ability to work with all levels of management
- Ability to lead a crew of 5+ employees
- CA Private applicator certification preferred
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to be walking, frequently required to use hands to fingers, handle, or feel, talk or hear; and occasionally to sit, or stand for long periods of time, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision; and color vision.