- Job Title: Director of Horticulture
- Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
About Rocket Farms, Inc.:
At Rocket Farms, we are leading the way in our industry through our commitment to innovation and our know how in the marketplace. Beautiful indoor floral products as well as potted edible herbs and vegetables are carefully selected, grown, and shipped to your local stores by us here at Rocket Farms so that our plants may complement and enhance your lifestyle. We are committed to providing special experiences and a unique value to our customers.
This position will oversee the on-time execution of key growing activities such as spacing, pruning, moving, and dumping and labor management for the Half Moon Bay greenhouse operations. This position requires a boots-on-the-ground, day-to-day operations leader of greenhouses and the greenhouse management team.
Essential Responsibilities (Responsibilities and Duties):
- Very close coordination and communication with grower managers.
- Responsibility to budget and forecast labor on a weekly basis to ensure proper and effective execution of all growing activities.
- Responsibility for the planning and execution of crop activities such as laying down, moving, spacing, pinching, staking, and tying, housekeeping, consolidating, and dumping.
- Validation of inventories after transactions such as moving, spacing, and dumping have been completed in the field. Perform spot checks to validate if data in the system is consistent with physical crop locations in the greenhouses.
- Ensure labor is deployed in the most efficient and effective way.
- Oversee that crops scrapped are recorded accurately and on time in the system.
- Ensure all crop batches have their “Growing Label” at all times, from laydown to shipping.
- Facilitate daily meetings with growers to ensure proper execution of activities.
- Assist with the implementation of an automated task management system.
- Help on any other activities designated, including but not limited to biological control, trials, and flagging crops.
- Promote a culture of safety; if needed, initiate corrective actions with employees.
- Prepare reports for growers regarding farm conditions, crop yields, machinery breakdowns, or labor problems.
Requirements (Qualifications and Skills):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy, Horticulture, or Plant Science required
- 3-5 years previous experience in indoor potted plant nursery industry required
- Bilingual (English Spanish) required
- Proficient Microsoft Office knowledge (i.e. Outlook, Excel, Word, etc.) also required
- A strong sense of teamwork, and great customer service with our customers, our breeders, and grower partners, is essential
- Excellent leadership and management skills necessary.
- 3 years minimum managing direct reports successful in nursery business.
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- A reliable, self-driven, responsible, and dependable individual is needed in this position, to fulfill these important obligations
- The ability to work in fast-paced and ever-changing environment requiring quick analysis, decision making, and deliberate execution is vital
- Clear DMV record mandatory
- Must maintain eligibility for company sponsored vehicle insurance
While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; frequently required to talk or hear; and occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance and color vision.